May 27, 2015
June 18, 2015

Divorces can be heartbreaking, painful, costly and time consuming when parties cannot reach a settlement between themselves.

However, all hope is not lost. Many young couples choose to get married in terms of an antenuptial contract, which states what each party declared to be excluded from the matrimonial estate and will remain each party’s exclusive property. If a couple does not have an antenuptial contract when they choose to go their separate ways, but already have a settlement in mind, whether it be with regard to property or children, they have the option of entering into a Consent Paper.

A Consent Paper states the terms on which the parties choose to divide their property or items that they have accrued over time. A Consent Paper should also deal with the maintenance, child care, medical care and any other issues that can arise with regards to minor children. A Consent Paper can be edited many times before it is endorsed by the Court, as long as both parties are in agreement. Once the parties are in agreement and summons has been served on the Defendant, the parties can obtain a final divorce order as soon as the following week. It is important to take note that where there are minor children involved, the Consent Paper must first be endorsed by the Family advocate in order to make sure that the arrangements regarding the care of such minor children are in line with the provisions of the Children’s Act. If there aren’t any issues with the arrangements as set out in the Consent Paper the Family advocate usually only takes about two days to endorse the Consent Paper.

A divorce order incorporating the Consent Paper may be obtained in the Regional Court or the High Court. The Cape Town High Court has jurisdiction over the Western Cape and is a speedy court when it comes to divorce matters that have been settled. The parties can choose their own divorce date in the Cape Town High Court provided that such date falls on a court date. This notice serves as booking for that date and as notice to the Defendant of such date.

One or both of the parties have to be present in court on the date as set out in the Notice of Set Down. However, it is advisable to use the services of an advocate in order to make the process as efficient and painfree as possible.

A divorce is never pleasant, but one should remember that once upon a time, the same parties that are asking for a divorce now, made promises to each other to take care of each other for better or for worse. Divorces don’t need to cost many years and tears, it can be finalised amicably and quickly. Even though the marriage itself was not meant to be, the memories will last forever.

This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as legal or other professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your legal adviser for specific and detailed advice.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to browse, you agree to our use of cookies